Amending Your Individual Income Tax Return

Individuals that have discovered they made an error on their tax returns after they have been filed can file an amended return (Form 1040X) to correct the error. Amended tax returns can be filed to correct most errors regarding income tax returns; however, they do not need to be filed to correct math errors or the omission of a required form or schedule. In this care, the IRS will request this information through the mail.

Amended returns should be filed within three years of the date of timely filing to claim a refund. It is okay to cash the refund check from the original return, however the taxpayer should wait until the original refund is received before filing an amended return. If a taxpayer is filing an amended return because they owe more tax, payment should be made as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges. If an error affects multiple tax years, a separate amended tax return will need to filed for each tax year that is affected. Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed by the IRS.

If you have any additional questions, please contact Brian Reed at or 314-576-1350.

Brian Reed is a Tax Accountant with BWTP P.C. Read more about Brian here.

Leave a Reply


captcha *