In the current era of online communications, information security has become a high priority concern for all organizations. As they say, “Any chain is as strong as its weakest link.” Any non-compliance with information security policies could jeopardize your organization resulting in financial, regulatory, operational, and legal risks.
Here are 8 basic steps towards achieving the goal of robust Cyber Security for your organization without spending a fortune:
- Spear Phishing and Social Engineering attacks have started becoming more commonplace. Verifying the email headers like “To” address, “From” address, etc., would help in determining the authenticity of the emails.
- Follow the Security classification of emails. So, classifying emails with confidential information as “classified” is important. Do not download any suspicious attachments from emails.
- Offer basic information security training to your employees to educate them and avoid risky cyber behavior.
- Encrypt all the sensitive data before you store. There are plenty of free encryption tools available as well.
- Never share business Wi-Fi with guests. If you offer free Wi-Fi service at your business, make sure it is running on its own network, not your primary network.
- If your company has a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy, set strong application control policies and ensure that online encryption is provided.
- Have a Security Audit intermediately. Threats and risks constantly change and your business needs to adapt quickly to stay informed and ahead of the curve.
- Finally, the most basic, but vital control, is to have a strong password management practice.
Cyber Security is very important to a company. Not only do you have to worry about your own information, but you also have to protect your client’s information. It is not something that should be taken lightly. You have a responsibility to your clients to make sure you are backing up their trust in you and your company.
If you have any questions about cyber security, please contact Manasa Vangala at 314-576-1350 or email@example.com.